Microsoft Dynamics CRM ribbon customization allows ribbon to be customized for entity forms, grids, sub grids etc. and it supports both Web and Outlook clients but there are few Ribbons bars that are only specific to Outlook client and ribbon customization does not allow them to change by making changes into ribbon xml customization. The step by step guide below will help outlook user to customize the Outlook specific CRM ribbon bars as per required. In the guide i have taken the example of customizing the E-mail message outlook ribbon bar.
[Instructions]1. Run Microsoft Office Outlook and open email message
2. Right click on email message ribbon bar and select Customize the Ribbon…
3. Outlook will not allow renaming the existing CRM group commands; you can delete the existing group and add a new group or can add a new command. In the screenshot below i have added a New Group “My Custom CRM Group”
4. After adding the group, in choose commands from: drop down list select Main Tabs expand Message item and in CRM node under Convert To select Case and click on the Add >> button5. Select the Case and click on rename button and type Convert to Case
6. Click OK button to close the window
[Instructions for Exporting and Importing Ribbon Customization]
You can export the ribbon customization and import into other outlook clients or can take customization backup by exporting.
1. In ribbon customization window, after making changes into the ribbon bar select custom group and click on Import/Export button and then select Export all customization and save customization file.
2. In ribbon customization window, after making changes into the ribbon bar select custom group and click on Import/Export button and then select Import customization file and select the customizations file.
If the customizations are required to be deploy across many CRM outlook clients then follow the instructions as mentioned in the URL to deploy customizations: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704589.aspx